Saturday 11 August 2012

A Graduate Life For Me



After my work experience in London, I had lots of lovely things to look forward to: a holiday in Spain, graduation, the new Batman movie, and the arrival of my sister's baby. I told myself that once I'd got back from holiday and moved into my house the real job hunting would begin; I needed a break after uni to find my bearings, and whilst I'm lucky in some respects as I know exactly which career I'd like to get into, I still needed some time to really think about my next move.

Even though we've all been told countless times that unemployment is high, and that there just aren't enough jobs to go around, each graduate I'm sure still holds a secret hope that they'll be the lucky one. They'll be the one for whom all the three years of hard work will pay off, as someone, somewhere sees the potential within them and gives them that all important first job. If only they apply for enough positions, if only they keep at it, if only they have patience and persevere, then everything will all work out. After all, the teachers at school told us that if we worked hard and achieved high grades and went to university we'd get a good job - whatever that was, so that's what we did. But things haven't gone to plan.

So I'll keep filling in those job applications, and completing unpaid work experience, so that hopefully, some day soon (how about next week?) I'll be the lucky one.

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who has left a lovely comment on my 'woe is me' post. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm no longer unemployed :D I'm now working in social media and cursing 7am wake-up calls. Onwards and upwards!

4 comments

  1. Best of luck! It was almost a year until things started looking up for me... and even now, I'm not exactly on the home straight. But there's no way of predicting what's going to happen, and doing stuff like work experience, volunteering and even blogging can prove invaluable in the long run. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to find a job these days. I really hope you'll find a good one and be happy. I tagged you in one of my posts, so if you want chech it out. It's for Liebster blog award :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the hope that you somehow keep up when you're applying for jobs, just praying that it will be your turn for a lucky break. I do genuinely think a lot of it's down to luck, and just because somebody else got a job you applied for, it's down to tiny little factors and not at all that you're not good enough. I often dislike my job but I'm very grateful for getting that bit of luck, especially now when it's so difficult for graduates to find decent jobs. I will keep my fingers crossed and really hope it works out for you really soon.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the same way at the moment. i'm due to graduate in july and i'm so nervous about job hunting. my two best friends just graduated this summer and they've both been exceptionally lucky and found their perfect jobs within the first couple of months. it feels like i'm under so much pressure now to find something i want to do.

    i really hope that your job hunt is successful. i think if you just apply, apply, apply then you will find your perfect job too :) who knows, a little break before you start full time work might do you the world of good :) x

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© The Stones Inside My Shoes | A UK Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.